The AgriFutures Chicken Meat Program invests in research, development and extension (RD&E) initiatives that contribute to our vision of Growing the long-term prosperity of the Australian chicken meat industry. The four objectives for the current RD&E Plan are:
Objective 1: Improve food safety of Australian chicken meat.
Objective 2: Develop and implement measures to improve industry impact on the environment.
Objective 3: Improve chicken meat production through the whole supply chain.
Objective 4: Improved ability to meet consumer.
The AgriFutures Chicken Meat Program is seeking proposals from consortia to conduct research that leverages existing knowledge of broiler* nutrition, diet composition and feed efficiency; their impact on gut health (including microbiota); and interaction with the in-shed and external environment
All proposals from consortia must address, at least, the first three key focus areas (highlighted in bold text) as listed below which are critical aims of the AgriFutures Australia Chicken Meat Program RD&E Plan 2019-22:
- Improved nutritional management and feed use efficiency
- Improved management of the internal shed environment
- Reducing pathogens before and during processing
- Enhanced chicken welfare
- Management strategies for chicken health
- Determining options to reduce environmental impacts
- Improved management of chicken production systems
- Improved options to manage litter
* Note that broiler refers to both broilers and breeders throughout.