AgriFutures has a clear vision to grow the long-term prosperity of Australian agriculture to create thriving rural industries and vibrant regional communities. AgriFutures Industry Advisory Panels are key to this. They provide strategic investment advice to AgriFutures. These recommendations guide research, development and extension (RD&E) projects and assist rural industries to be productive, profitable, and sustainable.
About the Advisory Panel
The Advisory Panels consist of people with a range of skills and experience in production, processing, research, or commercial service provision within the respective industry, together with representatives from AgriFutures.
The key functions of AgriFutures Industry Advisory Panels are to:
- Advise AgriFutures on the current state of the industry and its RD&E requirements.
- Provide recommendations on short-listed research applications consistent with the research priorities identified in the Program’s Strategic RD&E Plan.
- Advise on and assist with the dissemination, adoption, and commercialisation of R&D.
- Encourage industry voluntary contributions and co-investment by other stakeholders to support industry RD&E.
About the Advisory Panel Chair
The Chair of the Advisory Panel is a pivotal role in providing guidance and governance to the function of the Panel thereby, providing both Agrifutures and the industry with the confidence that the RD&E Program is delivering against industry priorities and value to levy payers.
The primary objectives of this role are to:
- Work closely with the AgriFutures’ Manager, Research to develop meeting agendas and report outcomes of meetings back to the Advisory Panel members.
- Chair effective Advisory Panel meetings that support an open and transparent decision-making process in accordance with the AgriFutures procurement policy.
- Ensure the strategic direction of the Program is maintained.
- Ensure that stakeholder interests are accurately represented to the Advisory Panel.
- Ensure that all Panel decisions are understood by Panel members and accurately recorded.
Advisory Panel Chair expectations
The Advisory Panel Chair will be expected to:
- Actively engage with AgriFutures and prioritise attendance at Advisory Panel meetings, plus additional AgriFutures Australia meetings and training sessions as required. The expectation for preparation and attendance could be up to 30 days per year, including interstate travel.
- Be available outside of Advisory Panel meetings for regular correspondence with the Agrifutures.
- Attend meetings fully prepared, having read all discussion papers and completed all pre-meeting activities. Adequate preparation will enable a proper level of participation in the meeting discussion, ensuring appropriate investment decisions are made on behalf of the industry.
These positions require strong leaders who are aligned with AgriFutures’ vision of creating thriving rural industries. The successful candidates must demonstrate strong chairperson and interpersonal skills, including but not limited to:
- Running effective meetings
- Time management
- Contribution to meeting development
- Balancing individual personalities
- Remaining impartial
- Tactful yet approachable.
It is desirable for these roles to have formal qualifications in governance (for example Company Director’s Course™ or equivalent), with comprehensive experience in team management and strong interpersonal skills. Experience or knowledge of the respective Program’s industry is preferable but not essential, however applicants must demonstrate a genuine commitment to the Program and engagement with AgriFutures.
Applicants will be evaluated on the following:
- Understanding of and experience within the respective industry.
- Chairperson skills and experience.
- Strong understanding of and appreciation of good governance.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to manage an effective team.
- Experience in and understanding of effective RD&E Program delivery.
Terms and conditions
The Managing Director of AgriFutures appoints the Chair and members of Industry Advisory Panels following a competitive skills-based assessment. The term of appointment of Advisory Panel Chair and members will initially be for three years.
Members of the Advisory Panel will be recompensed for their services to AgriFutures at rates determined by the Commonwealth’s Remuneration Tribunal. Advisory Panel members are entitled to preparation and sitting fees for meetings, and travel expenses. Please note that Advisory Panels do not hold financial delegations.
Advisory Panel members must also declare any Conflicts of Interests and sign a Confidentiality Agreement with AgriFutures.
How to apply
Applicants are required to complete the application form and attach their CV (no longer than three pages) and provide two referees via the online application system.
As part pf the application process, applicants will be required to outline relevant experience in the Australian agricultural sector and expected contribution to the Advisory Panel.
Applications close 5PM AEST Friday, 2 July 2021
For more information about the positions please contact
Manager- Export Fodder, Ginger, and Pasture Seeds
Emma.email@example.com | 0427 347 269
Senior Manager, Levied Industries
Lucinda.firstname.lastname@example.org | 0448 401 717