The Rural Industries Research & Development Corporation trading as AgriFutures Australia is a Corporate Commonwealth Entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability 2013 Act (PGPA Act) and is an agency in the Agriculture and Water Resources portfolio.
AgriFutures Australia was established as a statutory authority under the Primary Industries Research and Development Act 1989 (PIRD Act) for the purposes of:
- Increasing the economic, environmental and social benefits to members of primary industries and to the community in general by improving the production, processing, storage, transport or marketing of the products of primary industries;
- Achieving the sustainable use and sustainable management of natural resources;
- Making more effective use of the resources and skills of the community in general and the scientific community in particular;
- Supporting the development of scientific and technical capacity;
- Developing the adoptive capacity of primary producers; and
- Improving accountability for expenditure on research and development activities in relation to primary industries.